If you’re the type of person who is constantly searching for the best exercises for your body, I am quite positive that you come across the deadlift.
The deadlift is one of the best compound exercises out there. Compound exercises are exercises that target more than one muscle groups at a time.
So, what are deadlifts? In this article, I will tell you what a deadlift is and the reasons why you should be doing it.
A deadlift is a compound exercise where you will lift a dead weight (in most cases, lifting a barbell from the ground) in a certain way. I said a “certain way’ because you need to exercises proper form when doing deadlifts.
Now, why are deadlifts amazing? The deadlift is a great exercise because it uses all of the major muscle groups per rep. This includes the traps, the lower back, the glutes, the posterior chain, the hamstrings, the calves, the lats, and the core (or abs).
Now that you know the muscle groups that the Deadlift hits, here are the top reasons why you should be incorporating the deadlift into your exercise regimen:
- It increases your Core Strength. Your Core muscles are important when you want to lift heavy. Your core muscles include your upper and lower back, your buttocks, your abs, and your hips. Each rep of the deadlift makes use of these core muscles and over time, you will improve your core strength manifold.
- Deadlifts also improve your functional Strength. Among all the other compound exercises, the deadlift simulates real world activities. Deadlifts increase your functional strength. When doing physical labor, for example, you lift heavy objects from the ground. If you’re doing deadlifts, your functional strength will increase a lot so doing all of the lifting from the ground will be a cinch for you.
- It is a great muscle mass builder. Since deadlifts use all of the major muscle groups at the same time, it is the perfect exercise if you want to increase your overall muscle mass. If you’re going to bulk up or you just want to improve your posture, then the deadlift is the best exercise for you.
- Deadlifts improve your overall health. When doing deadlifts, your body produces more testosterone. Not only that but Deadlifts also improve your cardio and it also helps improve your mood because each rep of the deadlift lets your body produce feel-good hormones such as dopamine and oxytocin.
- Great Fat Burner. When you’re going to do some exercise, you want to have an exercise that targets a lot of muscles at the same time. And there is no better compound exercise out there other than the deadlift. Because this exercise utilizes a lot of muscle groups at the same time, you are guaranteed to burn more fat than any other exercise out there.
I hope this article has convinced you to do more deadlifts. If you haven’t done any deadlifts yet, better start today to enjoy the health benefits the deadlift brings.