Back in the day, it was the original Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) that got me hooked in playing video games. Obviously, the console is already very ancient in today’s terms.
A lot of really nice games were released on the NES platform and it would be a shame if people cannot experience it. Luckily, a lot of people have developed an emulator so that you can play NES games on whatever gaming console you use.
In this article, I will share with you a very handy NES emulator in the form of the NESDS. The NesDS Emulator for the Nintendo 3DS is a NES emulator specifically designed for people who have a Nintendo 3DS.
Before you can install and launch the NesDS, however, you may need to have an R4 3DS card first. R4 3DS cards bypass the security checks of the Nintendo 3DS so that you can install games and homebrew applications on your 3DS.
If you want to install the NesDS emulator on your Nintendo 3DS console, you need to have the following things:
- Nintendo 3DS console
- R4 3DS card of your choosing
- A microSD card (I prefer the 32GB storage capacity so you can cram a lot of applications and games to it)
If you have these three things, then we shall get started in installing the NesDS emulator on your Nintendo 3DS portable gaming console. Here’s how to install the NesDS:
- Download the official NesDS emulator from their official website.
- Copy all of the contents of the NesDS emulator on the root directory of your microSD card.
- Create a folder and name it “NES”. Inside the NES folder, create two folders and name them “SAVES” and “ROMS”. Make sure that they are all capitalized.
- Download your favorite NES game on the internet. Put your downloaded NES ROMs and put them inside the ROMS folder.
- Insert the microSD card into your R4 3DS card and plug it in your Nintendo 3DS.
- Power on your Nintendo 3DS and a prop stating if you want to install NesDS will appear. Click yes on the prompt and install the NesDS emulator on your console.
- Once done, just load up the game you want to play and you’re done! If you save your games, the saved files will automatically be put in the SAVES folder.
It is that easy to install the NesDS emulator on your Nintendo 3DS. The most important thing to note is that you will need an R4 3DS card. Without an R4 3DS card, you will not be able to install the NesDS or any other homebrew application or games. You wouldn’t want that, right?
There are many R4 3DS cards out there and if you’re struggling to find which one works best for you, then I suggest you choose either the Gateway3DS or the Sky3DS as these are premium cards.
If you do not buy these premium cards, it is still okay. Just make sure that you will not fall for those fake R4 3DS cards out on the market.
You can now play NES games on your Nintendo 3DS. Install the NesDS emulator on your Nintendo 3DS today.