The Nintendo 3DS Homebrew Scene is more lively than ever and there is a new homebrew application that you may want to install on your Nintendo 3DS.
Now, you might want to play Nintendo DS games even when you have a Nintendo 3DS, right? I mean, there are just a lot of games on the Nintendo DS that is worth playing.
If you want to play Nintendo DS games, you need to have an R4 3DS card. Furthermore, you also need an R4 3DS card that has that feature of allowing you to play Nintendo DS games on your Nintendo 3DS portable game console.
But, what if you want a CIA installable version of the NDS game you want to play? Is there a way to convert NDS ROM files to installable CIA files?
Actually, there is such a program. In today’s article, I am going to talk about the NDS Forwarder. This is a software on the PC that can forward NDS games to your Nintendo 3DS. You will also need to install the homebrew application on your 3DS to make things work.
With that being said, how do you use the NDS forwarder? Here are the instructions:
1. First, you need to get an R4 3DS card.
2. Then, download the NDS forwarder files for the R4 3DS card.
3. In the downloaded file, there should be a file that is called “for Slot-1 microSD”. Put it in the ROOT folder of your microSD card.
4. Next, plug the microSD card and place the R4 3DS card into your Nintendo 3DS. After which, run the Homebrew Launcher and select the “Decrypt9” tool.
5. In the interface, select “Game Dumper Options->Dump Cart (Full or Trim depends on you). This feature will dump any Nintendo DS Cart you have. Do this as many times as you want.
1. Next, download the “TWL Firm Patcher” and just follow the on-screen instructions.
2. After doing this, you can now install the Forwarder program on your PC.
1. Install the Forwarder 3DS program on your computer.
2. Next, plug your microSD card into your computer using the microSD card adapter.
3. Next, select the “Games are on SD Card” checkbox and then navigate it to the specific folder where you store all of the game files.
4. This is an important step: if you only want the installable CIA files, you can uncheck “Keep .NDS files”.
5. Next, click on the game you want to convert to CIA. Do the necessary edits (like input a banner, input the game’s title, etc).
6. Next, click the shuffle button. Wait until the TID is red so that the program can now convert your ROM files to CIA installable ones.
7. After everything is done, just click on the floppy disk icon and so that the program can now start the conversion process.
8. Once that is done, just put the CIA files on your microSD card; plug your microSD card into the R4 3DS card and then ultimately to your Nintendo 3DS.
9. Just install the CIA file like you would any other CIA file and that’s it!
The installation and use of this forwarder program might be cumbersome but it will save you from the hassle in the future.
If you want to play Nintendo DS games without ever having the need to install 3rd party emulators, then use the NDS forwarder to convert them into installable CIA files so you can play right off your Nintendo 3DS’ homescreen.
Do note that you will need an R4 3DS card for this.